Saturday, December 17, 2011

THE ROAD AHEAD.

I'm currently writing this blog entry from my Mom's house in Leland, NC. It strikes me as I write this that it has been over two years since my last blog entry, written just before my entrance into the United States Navy.

It would be a tremendous understatement for me to say that my life has 'changed a bit' since that last entry. This past year in particular has been filled with more plot twists than a Russian novel. Some of these changes have been difficult, but they revealed to me that a.) I am never alone b.) I deserve to be happy and c.) I am stronger & more resilient than I could have ever realized. Rather than 'making me who I am today', I see now that the difficult changes in my life served only to reveal to me who I always have been all along. I can say without a hint of bravado that I like who I am; I love being this guy; I love what I am capable of, I love what I have to give, and I am extremely excited by all of the possibilities within me.

I will simply say that right now I am the happiest that I have ever been in my entire life. I am blessed with the best family and friends a fellow could ask for, and I have found myself showered with the love and support of the most amazing, beautiful, and dynamic young woman I have ever known.

For me, the holiday season has always beem a time for reflection and reassessment, and even more so this year. The year 2011 provided me with many opportunities, accolades and deeply rewarding relationships, both personal and professional. I have been the recipient of more love and support than I could ever ask for. As I step into 2012, I will be embarking on a new course in my life, one filled with many challenges-- all of which I am ready to meet head-on.

The chief challenge ahead of me comes in early January 2012, when I will be mobilizing for my first Navy Individual Augmentee Deployment to Afghanistan.

Now, many of my friends who know I'm in the Navy seem very surprised when they hear that I'll be headed to Afghanistan. They almost always ask: "Will you be on a ship?"

The simple answer is 'No.'

Individual Augmentee, or 'IA' as it is more commonly known, is a specialized mission wherein a Navy Sailor fills an operational support billet commonly associated with another branch of service. IA Billets can be anything from Detainee Operations to Customs enforcement to Defense Reutilization. This type of Deployment can be very stressful, although deeply rewarding, and the function IAs serve to the overall effort overseas is a highly valuable one.

The challenges of an IA deployment are unique: First, rather than deploying overseas as part of a larger Unit, Navy IAs usually deploy overseas alone. On the personal level, there isn't the same communal sense that comes with a large Unit mobilization; I won't be part of a a huge mass troop movement; I won't be able to look over and see twenty-five sailors sharing the same exact experience, at least not during the pre-mobilization phase. While I have gotten top-notch support from my NOSC (Naval Operational Support Center), a lot of my pre-mobilization preparation has been completed as 'The Lone Sailor.' This has been at times frustrating, exhausting, and isolating, since very few of my friends are going through the same challenges, changes, and emotions.

A second challenge IAs face: The exhaustive pre-Mobilization process. For Navy IAs, this includes countless medical/dental screenings, a lenghty pre-Deployment checklist of financial, legal & familial 'to-do' items, and completion of about 42 comprehensive online courses covering everything from 'IED Countermeasures' to 'first aid' to the 'Dari Afghan language.' Also factored into this are the personal logistical challenges: In the months leading up to deployment, I have found myself having to move everything I own, secure my pets and property, establish a will and specific powers of attorney & inform my family where they can find support services and deployment information, all while trying to stay physically fit, and find the time to simply breathe.

It has been a rather stressful time for me lately, and I wish I could give full attention to each and every one of my dear friends who have expressed support and encouragement to me over the last few weeks and months. I have been essentially 'Homeless' for the last few weeks, and I have found myself expending quite a bit of mental and emotional energy obsessing over lists of things to be completed. I had a Navy Shipmate in my Unit tell me that the Pre-Deployment phase is the most stressful time; That once all of the 'i's are dotted and 't's crossed, and the Deployment is underway, I will feel more like I'm 'in a groove' and less like I'm trying to herd a bunch of cats.

Another thing people ask me is if I'm scared to go overseas; They ask if I have any misgivings about heading to Afghanistan, where things are most definitely not tranquil and calm; I can say, without equivocation, that I am 100% convinced that the task I am performing is essential, vital and necessary to protect the lives of my brothers and sisters in arms, and I will do the very best job I am capable of performing while thus engaged. I know that I will be working with some of the finest and most qualified professionals the military has to offer; Furthermore, this is essentially what I joined the Navy to do-- Namely, play my part in my country's effort overseas. Call it hokey, call it Jingoistic, call it whatever you'd like, but I have ALWAYS felt deep down that I owe my nation a very real debt of gratitude for all it has blessed me with, and the very least I can do is lend a hand to ensure the safety of my fellow Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines... And I mean to do it right away.

As excited and proud as I am to head overseas, I am looking past the Deployment, however, and once I return from it, I will be headed out west to start a new life in Los Angeles, California. I feel like it is time to make a brand new start and challenge myself to learn new things; To grow creatively by trying my hand at improv, sketch comedy, writing, and many new activities. I am moving not only to cultivate new career opportunities, but to cultivate a beautiful relationship with someone very special. Her name is Elizabeth. She is the center of my world.

When happiness and love work their way into your life, you must follow where they lead you. I could shout to the heavens that I am absolutely filled to the brim with love for this woman. I have already resolved to cherish each and every moment, hour, day and year of laughter and joy that comes with sharing myself with her.

I have found in my experience that there are no hard, concrete promises given in this life, and that it takes tireless work, attention, communication, understanding, compassion, love and caring in order for good things to grow into great things. I am committed to giving Elizabeth all that I am; To give her all of my love, support and encouragement; To be there for her, to care for her and to root for her at each and every turn; And, as I go forward, I will strive to continue to become the best 'me' I can possibly be.

Thank you again to everyone who has offered support and encouragement to me for all these years. I have the strength and confidence to face the future and the challenges of the road ahead because of the belief entrusted to me by my family and friends.

Thanks again, and may the road rise to meet you...

51 Comments:

Blogger Beth C said...

Now that, my friend, was worth reading. I think it is important for all the civilians to know all the prep, stress and upheaval one goes throught before deployment. Thank you for serving our country, Scott. I enjoyed reading your bio too. Be well, and safe journies...
Beth C

4:52 AM  
Blogger Dan Sheppard said...

Scott, Great blog! I wish you all the best! be safe over there! and know that we all appreciate what your doing! our prayers will be with you!
next time your up north we will have to catch a red sox game or soemthing!

Dan Sheppard ( Gloucester stage)

8:31 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Exceedingly well done. xoxox Jeff McCarthy

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Jennifer Kaloper-Bersin said...

Since finding you on Facebook, reading your comments and going back and forth with endless poking, there aren't enough words to describe how incredibly proud I am of you, how happy I am to see you engaging each and every day with such fervor. And since I became a mom, I wish with all my heart that my son will meet you some day and if all goes well, have you as one of his role models. If he becomes even a fraction of the man you are, I will be very lucky indeed. God bless my friend.

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Becki Jones said...

Dear Santa,
All I want for Christmas is to grow up to be more like Scott Wichmann.

Oh, and for Scotty to travel safe and be well!!

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aaron Rodgers Green Jersey axiotakix
Robert Griffin III Game Jersey axiotakix
Brian Urlacher Jersey womens axiotakix
http://cheaperjerseyfromchina.weebly.com

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andre Johnson Youth Jersey axiotakix
Eli Manning Jersey axiotakix
J.J. Watt Kids Jersey axiotakix
http://www.niketexansnflstore.com

4:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

|
|
|

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article. I will be dealing with many of these issues as well.
.

Here is my web blog; thrombosed hemorrhoid treatment
my webpage :: Hemorrhoid treatment

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://longchampsoldesk.fotopages.com/]sac longchamps[/url] You seem a chump. please elaborate as to what you mean please? Why are you so defensive? Nerves can do that to a person. Don't worry though if you are doing things legally you will be fine. Soaking hands in a bowl containing solution of baking soda (one to two cups) and water for twenty to thirty minutes every day will prove to be beneficial. Taking a bath in apple cider vinegar for not more than five minutes is also effective in treating the problem of sweaty palms. Excellent Quality Mulberry Tony Laptop Briefcase Black for Men,Buy cheap Mulberry bags from Mulberry uk official factory shop Eat a healthy diet and avoid consumption of excessive iodine, onion, oily foods, broccoli and asparagus.
[url=http://longchampsoldesa.tumblr.com/]sac longchamp[/url] Spring is a fantastic time to stock up on cabbage. As a rich source of vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese and fiber, cabbage promotes a strong-functioning immune system, digestive health and bone strength. Since cabbage tends to maintain Cheap Mulberry Handbags on sale in our Mulberry Outlet with fast delivery, free shipping and no sale tax. Buy cheap Highly Appreciated Mulberry Women's Piccadilly Bayswater Printed Leather Shoulder Brown Bag here right now! its freshness longer than other leafy vegetables, you can stock up without fear of it going bad.
[url=http://longchampmoinse.easyblogs.fr/]sacs longchamps[/url] For those who take a peek into the history of chemises, you'll be dumbfou . Whenever a woman puts on wholesale lingerie, she feels sexier and more appealing, eve . To found out an on-line. If it feels right for her and her child now, that's fine but she should be ready for the day when her child rejects the idea. Once she starts school and realises other kids aren't being breastfed she won't want it. That's when the Mum will feel abandoned and THAT could permanently effect the mother-daughter relationship.. A travel to the Vera Bradley Handbags website or to a accumulation transforms you to an nudeness new class where every symbol seems to score grow animate. The state-of-the-art art designs and fabrics are infused with being with ingenious use of Latest Mulberry Women's Piccadilly Bayswater Leather Shoulder Brown Bag for sale, fashion Mulberry bags and stylish Mulberry Bags 2012 for sale colours. The reserves has grown in varied dimensions.

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantaѕtic sіte. Lots of helpful іnformation here.
I'm sending it to several buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks for your effort!

Have a look at my homepage: http://Www.Iprofile.fr
Also see my web page - Recommended Online Site

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it the word means?
You recollect 18 more century
I can recommend to visit to you a site, with an information large quantity on a theme interesting you.
You are certainly right. In it something is and it is excellent thought. It is ready to support you.
It be no point.

[url=http://shenenmaoyiww.loveblog.com.br/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapmichaelkors2.webs.com/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://shenenmaoyiqwe.soup.io/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.squidoo.com/mkbagcheap2][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]
[url=http://cheapoutletbag2.webnode.cn/cheapoutletbag2/][b]michael kors outlet online[/b][/url]

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! Quick question that's entirely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My weblog looks weird when browsing from my iphone. I'm trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to fix this problem.
If you have any recommendations, please share.
Many thanks!

My website :: Green Diet Tea

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I
could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

Feel free to visit my website 1993 dodge cummins for sale

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea
shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but
I had to tell someone!

my homepage ... Methadone Rehab

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i read your blog occasionally and i own a similar one and i was just
curious if you get a lot of spam comments? If so how do
you stop it, any plugin or anything you can suggest?

I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any help is very much appreciated.

Feel free to surf to my weblog vera wang shoes sale

11:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now it seems like Expression Engine is the preferred blogging platform available right
now. (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?


Also visit my page: Green Diet Tea

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting
a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us valuable information to work on.
You have done a marvellous job!

My web-site :: test line cccam

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sac Louis Vuitton pas cher sac Louis Vuitton Louis Vuitton Pas Chersac Louis Vuitton

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A great alternative is Internet radio, also known
as Web radio. Award winning TV anchor George Mc -
Kenzie offers a free 7-part email “Publicity Crash
Course" at. EDT and be sure to follow his blog known as The Espenblog.

Feel free to visit my blog post; experienceproject.com

5:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Facebook offers Frontline a great opportunity to reach people worldwide and this social network will continue to help us grow outside of Texas in the coming year. Most people can't be bothered typing in a long and complex web address. But for real impact, consider giving your website visitors a call to action, like "Follow us on Facebook.



Here is my website - facebook fans kaufen

6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Around 150 games in total, but that's relatively small compared to our users. While having a passion for playing games is important, getting a rewarding career in game design will require students to be a cut above the competition. It is recommended that the golfers select those putters with which the golfers feel good and works well with their gaming pattern.

Feel free to visit my web blog ... visit the following site - www.spielespielen24.de

6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are several benefits to engage professional cleaning
service to take care of your home hygiene. Many
days we feel like circus jugglers with more plates in the air than
we can possibly handle. Though the family is made up of different individuals but they are treated as a
single unit.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With Apple Motion, you work by developing text
and graphical items in a modified two dimensional space.
When it is in the Viewer you can go to the Filters tab
and make corrections to change it between horizontal and
vertical if you want. Lack of contacts and financing
can make producing great documentary films very difficult.


Also visit my web page; simply click the following internet site

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It can, however, be pre-ordered, as its release date is
in the near future. Thus professional firms for web development in
London are better got in touch with. Still, Lich King is
not devoid of its flaws. It scored a decent 3208 marks in the PCMark04 benchmark.
An analysis this change will give us insight into
the supposed benefits they entail. It is hard to believe that we are unable to provide the minimum required comfort to our old ones, destitute women and even orphans.
We relate to it like it's the truth. The so-called colloidal silver "blue man," Paul Karason, was back on the Today show this week. A far cry from the land of milk and honey you may think. A Whole Lot of Exciting Options to Choose from Advanced car wash equipment use low-flow technology that drastically reduces drying times for carpets and upholstery.

Here is my web blog; http://ork2.com/ShirleyCo

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp credit card debt
credit companies

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp low interest loans
loan rates

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spot on with this write-up, I honestly feel this website needs much more attention.

I'll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the information!

Check out my page; skin disorders

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for some other excellent article. The place
else could anyone get that kind of info in such an ideal
way of writing? I have a presentation next week, and I'm at the look for such info.

Feel free to visit my web site cheap maleextra

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yet another first person shooter game this time around, but the first Far Cry was quite
good. Thus professional firms for web development in London are better got in touch with.

I thought it would be cool to make people laugh as I inquire
into the things that fascinate me, like the trap of being human and, at the same time,
divine. When it comes to bridging your skills gap in
gaming world then you can do anything to prove yourself.
Many consumers worry about their security when
making purchases over the internet. It is hard to believe that we are unable to provide the minimum required comfort to our old ones,
destitute women and even orphans. A low quality product may lose its shine in a few days or may simply get tarnished due to overuse or after coming in contact with water.
We're now looking at life lately in entirely new ways. *Composite fillings. Why the lack of soul-wrenching anxiety.

my webpage - just click the up coming document - www.mysocialitz.com

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply desire to say your article is as amazing.
The clearness on your post is simply spectacular and that i can think you're an expert in this subject. Well with your permission let me to grasp your RSS feed to keep up to date with approaching post. Thanks a million and please carry on the enjoyable work.

Here is my web blog; buy proenhance

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good information. Lucky me I discovered your blog by chance (stumbleupon).
I have saved as a favorite for later!

My web site semenax

11:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The most attractive feature of an online radio tuner is its ability to record what you're listening to. Perhaps there is a news broadcast you want to check, or perhaps a vital sports game you cannot miss. The viewing angle is extra wide, making it easier for you to read or even allow others to read with you.

my web site: djuice.grameenphone.com

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand that those are the products designed by manufacturers to make them money and if they are endorsed by
winning popular professionals, sales will be high.
It should come as no surprise that i - Tunes is loaded full of pirate apps for i
- Phone, i - Pod Touch, and i - Pad. If you want
to be able to hit the ball further and harder, you should keep in
mind to keep your grip on the bat loose, your swing should begin with your legs and hips, and finally,
you must always follow your bat through.

Look at my webpage Homepage des Autors besuchen

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much like Safari, the Camera app, the App Store and i - Pod, Game Center has no option to be deleted when editing your apps.
Imagine never having to worry about what to wear to work,
and even the infuriating traffic jams that never seem to end.
But what happens when a player runs out of race tokens.


Look at my webpage: similar website

9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In most cases they are, but when it comes to updates, patches, etc
to the mmorpgs. Don't leave the landscape designing and terrain optimization to the last moment. We carry R4 SDHC, DSTT, R4i SDHC, Acekard 2i, EZFlash Vi, M3i Zero, and now the i - Edge.

my web page Suggested Webpage

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

- Approximately 80% of Facebook users acknowledge consistently checking a former ex's Facebook page. This information provides easy ways for hackers to step into your personal world. On top to the number of friends, you can get social proof using your wall ' all you
need is few people who write on your wall on regular basis.


Also visit my website; http://nakamura-iin.com/userinfo.php?uid=14071

12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to come by experienced people for this subject, but you sound like you know what you'rе talking
аbout! Τhanks

Feel free to surf to my web pagе: hcg 123

5:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Multiplayer versions is more exciting as in this, you'll be able to team up or even contend with other participants to defeat the enemies. Finding good outsourcing companies is the key, as naturally you do not want to lower the quality of the service. It's
fast to build and play and will challenge your memory.


My webpage - adpower.x-y.net

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's think of words that sound dirty but really aren't.
This way you are not disappointed when you get residence, and you won't have to make a excursion back to the shop. We carry R4 SDHC, DSTT, R4i SDHC, Acekard 2i, EZFlash Vi, M3i Zero, and now the i - Edge.

my weblog; simply click the up coming document

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you a bunch foг shаrіng thiѕ with all of
uѕ yοu really undeгѕtаnd what уou're talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally talk over with my website =). We could have a link alternate agreement between us

Look into my page reputation management on line

7:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful site. Lots of helpful information here.
I am sending it to some buddies ans also sharing in
delicious. And of course, thanks on your effort!


Take a look at my weblog :: individual reputation management

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and check again
here frequently. I'm quite certain I will learn a lot of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

Also visit my web site their website

3:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I certainly enjoyed
every little bit of it. I have got you saved as a favorite to check out
new things you post…

My homepage ... http://me.vn084.com/space.php?uid=4289&do=blog&id=4591

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this article fully regarding the resemblance of newest and preceding technologies, it's awesome article.

Feel free to visit my weblog :: binary options profits

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Incredіble! This blog looks exaсtly like my old one!

It's on a completely different topic but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Outstanding choice of colors!

my page; lloyd irvin

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have learn a few good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting.
I wonder how a lot attempt you place to create this kind of excellent informative web site.


Feel free to visit my page :: binary option

3:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very great post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that
I have really loved browsing your weblog posts. After all I will be subscribing on
your rss feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!


my site: hair regrowth products - -

5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

pet insurance for dogs Some important things to consider when dealing with policy limits are deductible, co-pay, incident cap, annual cap because these factors affect the cost of insurance. You would also be held personally liable if your dog causes loss of or damage to property that does not belong to you.

5:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it was informative and helped you along your own culinary journey.
Later, during the Middle Ages, many guests would bring small cakes
to the wedding celebration. You may even
love them more than this classic cake recipe.

Look at my homepage :: cake alchemy prices

8:58 PM  
Blogger Josi Bunder said...

Sell and buy used and new goods.
Post ads for free or get free account via Facebook Login in one click.
More details postallads4free.com

6:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home