Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Journey to the Center of the Mind


I will be away from Richmond until february 19th, as tomorrow I embark on a really interesting and difficult journey into the root of consciousness itself. I will be taking part in a 10-day Vipassana Meditation Course taught by S.N. Goenka in Shelburne Falls, Massachussetts, about an hour from my hometown of Pittsfield.

I'm both excited and apprehensive, wondering what I will find inside as I spend ten days in total silence, letting the mind and body settle in seated meditation for hours at a time.

I am reminded of the scene in The Empire Strikes Back, just before luke ventures into the tree cave on Dagobah... He asks Yoda "What's in there??" Yoda replies:

"Only what you take with you."

(...I can twist anything to reflect Star Wars or the Red Sox...)

My bus leaves at 12:30 am from Richmond--I'm travelling all night-- transferring in NYC, and proceeding onto Greenfield , MA. I figure the retreat will feel like heaven after 13-Plus hours on a bus. I'm bringing some books to pass the time, and it will doubtless be a test of my patience, but what the heck??

I don't know what I will find within, but I am thankful for this opportunity to practice, discover, and experience more of the blessing that is this life.

And when I get back, spring training will be just around the corner!!

(Deep Breath..)

HERE I GO!!!

Peace and joy to all beings everywhere!!!

-Scott

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Scott,

I'm wishing you all the best. With your exuberant energy, I expect it may be a challenge to sit so long. I hope you can turn that energy to Vipassana and have a good retreat. I'm thinking all good thoughts and wishing you metta!