Monday, December 10, 2018

FULL THROTTLE

How I do the dishes at home.
I’ve been going 'great guns' for a few weeks now and the recent snowfall in Richmond has given me a chance to recover, rest and reflect. As I write this, I’m sitting upright in bed with a scarf around my neck sipping from a mug of hot water to soothe a voice which has been tested due to overuse. The last few days I have not said much, which I’m sure is an early Christmas gift to everyone around me.

THE GAME’S AFOOT: HOLMES FOR THE HOLIDAYS is up and running at Virginia Repertory Theater at Hanover Tavern and we have been thrilling virtually sold-out houses since our opening November 30. The overall run is certainly a challenge, as we have two-show days on Wednesdays and Saturdays and the high-octane hijinks demand the ensemble run full-throttle for two-plus hours in the wintertime, which invites exhaustion which in turn can often pave the way for colds & flu.

We’re all doing our best to stay healthy and focused on giving 100% each night. The cast is incredible and I love working with each one of them. The show runs through January 6, but I’ll be stepping out of the run on December 30 to tackle my next project, which just so happens to be my ‘day job’ at the moment...


Daily from about 10am-3pm, I’m rehearsing the role of shock-jock ‘Barry Champlain’ in Eric Bogosian’s 1987 hit play TALK RADIO, about a radio personality who goes full throttle until he has a full-blown on-air meltdown on the eve of his show’s ascendency to national syndication. The show, produced by 5th Wall Theatre, opens at The Basement on January 10 and runs through the 26th. I’m working with one of my favorite directors, the great Morrie Piersol, and our cast is stellar.

As if that wasn’t enough, I’m rehearsing A VERY GOOD YEAR, my nightclub-style New Year’s Eve cabaret at Richmond Triangle Players at the Robert B. Moss Theatre backed by a jazz trio featuring musical direction by the incredible Ryan Corbitt. We’ll be offering two shows on December 31, 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m., complete with a champagne toast welcoming in 2019.

Shout-out to my vocal teacher, Opera singer Sarah Walston (Our brilliant ‘Abigail’ in the 2016 Virginia Rep production of ‘1776’) for giving me plenty of resources to keep the voice running and resting and meeting each challenge. I’m using a Vicks’ steamer, drinking Fire Cider (Made in Pittsfield, Mass, my hometown), pounding water and tea, and trying to get as much sleep as I can. Still, it is a lot and I often find myself having to take a nap from around 4-5 p.m. each day. This is an invaluable and indispensable activity. I highly recommend naps. I wish I would have taken more of them when I was younger. They're refreshing and-- best of all-- free.

Despite sometimes feeling weary, I am really proud of the work I’m doing and the people I’m doing it with. I am a very lucky fellow to be doing what I love-- namely, telling stories and engaging with audiences. It is all I've ever wanted to do.

In any case, thanks for reading. Hope to see you at a show sometime. 

I'll be waiting for you.




No comments: